November 4, 2010

"Gion Odori: Maple Dance"



"We're fools, whether we dance or not, so we might as well dance."
-Japanese Proverb


The leaves are dancing,
like butterflies in the wind,
showing their reds and golds.


We humans mirror them,
using the wind in our flutes,
dancing in our autumn wardrobes.


Kat & I went to Gion on Wednesday,
and caught the shichi-go-san,
the Seven-Five-Three Ages festival for children.
{Want your heart melted? Watch toddlers run around in kimonos.}


Our real purpose, though,
was to see the geisha and maiko dance.


In all my trips to Kyoto,
I'd never seen a real geisha before.


I don't think I blinked once
the entire performance.


Gion Odori (lit. Gion Dance)
tells the story of a woman
whose life is spared by a demon,
and she must fetch him a gift in return for his "kindness".


There was a live orchestra
of shamisen players
and tayu (chanters).


My favorite character,
the demon Ibaraki
{played by a woman}.


Demon Ibaraki
and his minions,
the stolen maiko children.


A maiko is an apprentice geisha.
You can differentiate between them from
the maiko's long sleeves,
tail-like obi belts,
high geta shoes,
forked nape makeup,
and elaborate hair ornamentation
{not to mention their hair styles & color schemes}.
Maikos are more decorated than their geisha masters,
like adolescents and adults.


I get to visit Kyoto
two more times
before I leave Japan.
If I don't make it back to America this December...
...it's because I'm in training to be a geisha.


{Music via Kat-Tun & Eri}

4 comments:

  1. Oh Ashley what wonderful experiences you are sharing with us! Your grandfather spent his Navy time in Japan and loved it too. I love seeing it thru your eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is beautiful! and so amazing! :D Why doesn't America have awesome festivals and such..........

    you are a lucky duck my friend!

    <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh! How wonderful! How I wish I could have been there to share that experience with you! I am so glad you took pictures to share with us.

    If you train to be a Geisha, then I will totaly make a trip to come see you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. so beautiful, and i love that japanese proverb.

    ReplyDelete