January 19, 2010

"Welcome to the Mansion"

"Wanna swing from a star in the big blue sky,
don't wanna watch it all go by,
so I'm gonna fly."
-Sydney Forest (Kiki's Delivery Service)
Friday came
and I boarded the train,
bound for Amagasaki.
I went to sleep over at the mansion,
my family-away-from-family's house.
They cooked me delicious nabe for dinner.
Tanuki sighting!
Whenever I see a tanuki, I have to snap a picture.
I blame Ghibli for my fettish.
Saturday brought with it
an adventure in Arima,
a little mountain town
that's famous for its hot spring.
I love trying tasty, new foods...
...so I know I'm in the right country!
Japanese treats may look/sound/seem suspicious,
but they're delicious.
A rhyme. Ha!
Friends, meet dango.
Dango, meet friends' tummies.
This is a snack you'll definitely want to try sometime.
I asked Akemi
{my Japanese mama}
if this was a hot spring monkey.
The answer was no,
thank goodness.
But farther up in the mountains,
monkeys and people alike soak in the water together.
I want a picture of that.
{An appropriate one, of course.}
Wandering up the little road,
we came across a basket weaver in action.
His shoppe was filled with
baskets, chopsticks, clocks...
everything woven by his own two hands.
So, uh, my talent is playing the piano...
No comparison.
Venturing on to HarborLand
{a place to view all of Kobe}
we found a tiny Ghibli shoppe.
"Totoro, Totoro..."
And for dinner,
we stopped at a kaiten zushi.
And they had corn sushi.
AWESOME.
And here's some... uh... Engrish?
Japan never ceases to surprise me.

3 comments:

  1. This is so cool!

    Susie (a Pampered friend of your mom)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my stars, lady! you are being so well taken care of! i am jealous, haha. and all your adventures sound awesome! i love that monkey`s posture where he`s hunched over and his toes look like they`re intertwined. that just made me laugh really hard.

    love you, lady!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Totoro! I want one, a real one. ;D

    Oh how I wish I had a Japanese mama to take care of me. Oh well... I did make a new friend. She teaches the younger grades at two of my schools. She speaks English really well. We have exchanged numbers and she wants to invite me over for dinner sometime, to have takoyaki (sp?).

    I am so happy you had a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete