February 10, 2010

"Pancakes in the Clouds"

In the middle of the night,
the ocean crept up the beaches
and flooded Kakogawa.
We woke up in an Atlantis,
known, locally, as 濃霧.
We were swimming in clouds,
the buildings around us hidden in white,
the air in our mouths thick as cotton candy.

When I finally paddled my way into school,
the halls were ghostly,
eerily blue from the 濃霧,
eerily silent from the testing.
{It's test week for the lucky children.}

Because of the testing,
I had no classes to teach.
So, I sat my tush in the Teacher's Room
FOR-EV-ER. <--{Thank you, Liz.}
But after a few hours,
the door slid open...
and a little angel in an apron skipped inside
and gave me a hotcake with syrup and chocolate chips.
{The Kobetsu students are my hush-hush-don't-tell #1 favorites.}

For the rest of the day,
I tried to behave like an adult.
I prepared for my lessons
and stuffed my brain with kanji facts,
using Google Translate to help me with the tough ones.
This brought me immense joy,
{and a stomachache from concealed, hysterical laughter}
for when I typed in certain words,
I got Engrish.
I typed, "how are you doing" {調子はどう}
and got this.
And then, I heard the vice-principal say
"kochi koso"
which is typically said,
"kochira koso"
{meaning, "it was my pleasure"}.
So I typed it in
and got this. <--{Added the ?! for effect.}

But after a while of that,
my brain got bored again...
...so, I scribbled some pictures.
{I like 'em poofy.}
I began to doodle cartoon versions of all the ALTs,
starting with Liz.
I penciled in her hair,
then decided to give her extensions.
"That's kinda neat,"
I said to myself,
so I tried her new hairstyle on an anime character.
Congratulations, Liz,
you've been anime-fied.
Welcome to our L337 club. {:D}
This is my Chinese guardian, Chin.
He's a long-necked lion.
Please love him.
{I was Wiki-ing minorities in Japan,
read about the dog-lions in Okinawa,
and stumbled over to Chinese lions.
Pretty fantastic stuff.}
And this is my Totoro friend.
Phew, what a day it's been!
PS: I gotta take a break from the bakery shopping,
else I'll begin to look like this handsome devil.
Hot diggity.

{Fog via Astronautka}
{Pancakes via Avs-Avs}

5 comments:

  1. have i told you lately that i love you?

    so, ashley...crackalackin? i need to call you, as it has been a while since i have spoken to you. probably that`s what i`ll do with my holiday...call all the interns and give them some lovin`! what are your plans?

    teacher`s room languishing SUCKS. i`m sorry you had to experience that. at least you are more productive than i would have been!

    and what the ancients!!! why are you so good at drawing?? darn you... whatever the case, thanks for drawing me!!! i love to be drawn. and i especially love to be anime-ified. i would return the happiness and draw you, but i`d rather not insult you like that.

    aaaaand i`ve never had hair extensions. i think i need to try them now. heh heh..

    anyways...as always, love you, love your blog. have a lovely whatever!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! I really like Liz all anime-like. It is so great!

    I wish me brain hadn't just died... I would have said something nice here.... mabe I will later...

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, oh Engrish... crackalackin... that's just hilarious. I love the long-necked lion! :D And that pancake stack looks really good right now (I haven't had breakfast yet...)
    .. love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds so mystifying! And pretty sweet :) I think you found a beautiful use of your time :D I miss seeing all your sketches. They're very amazing. I usually love pancakes, but right now it's just cheese crackers and fruit :P not too bad. The lion looks pretty sweet! I would rather have him guarding me then run into him! Anyways... ~<]=D

    ReplyDelete
  5. That first picture reminds me of throne of blood. ha ha Which also takes place in Japan so beware! ha ha I love your pictures. Hey, when are you going to draw those pictures of me? ;) I can recognize the love kanji pretty well but I still can't write it to save my life. I can't wait for you to come back! But don't come back too soon. ;) wha ha ha ha Love ya!

    ReplyDelete