September 14, 2009

"Hare Krishna!"

"Culture is the widening of the mind and of the spirit." -Jawaharlal Nehru

Babbo and I traversed to the Festival of India at the Krishna Temple on Saturday.
We both felt rather unknowledgeable about the distinctions between the Middle Eastern cultures, and this was a fantastic opportunity to become enlightened (no pun intended). =}
But at first, we hadn't a clue what to do . . .
We sat and listened to Indian music for a moment, then decided to trek uphill to the temple.
Beautiful, beautiful costumes, ornamentation, and incense awaited us there.
And I found myself melting into relaxation when I joined in their sacred chanting.


The food was the scariest part . . . Neither of us knew what any of it was.
But once it passed our lips, all our fears fled. It was spectacular, and we wanted more!
The dancing was absolutely incredible, and I was lucky enough to capture some footage before we were told to put our cameras away. (Sneaky, sneaky.)


I'll be back for the 25th annual celebration, right after I return from Japan!
HARE KRISHNA!

3 comments:

  1. What a good picture of both you and your dad! I used to do Tupperware parties with a lot of the East Indians. Once I got into their clan they had party after party for me. In fact they put my sales way over the top. At first, the pungent smell of curry in all their houses sort of repulsed me and then they started fixing me some of their dishes and they were delicious. If you ever get a chance to eat some of their potato candy, it’s quite different too and good. The Baines family is one of the biggest and richest families in this area and I will tell you about their house sometime. When you drive up to their house the driveway is all brick with a big B in black brick in the center. Thanks for sharing your experience. The jewels in the center of their foreheads and the oils they cleansed their bodies in fascinated me to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. EXCELLENT Ashley!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. VERY INTERESTING!!

    ReplyDelete