May 28, 2010

"Remember Today"




"The time to be happy is now. The place to be happy is here."
-Robert G. Ingersoll



We had a successful class yesterday,
the 7th graders and I.


We learned how different
the minds of Americans
and Japanese
are.


We played a game
where they guessed
what picture I was holding in my hand.
I gave them clues, according to color and shape,
and that's when the class erupted.


"Tigers are yellow!"
No, they're orange.
"Onions are brown!"
No, they're pink.
"The sun is red!"
No, it's yellow.
"Stoplights are blue!"
No, they're green.


Teaching can be mundane,
because it's selfless.
But, if I let the days of the week pass me by

without a second glance,
I throw away moments of life.


To quoth Keith Urban's music:
"These are the days we will remember,
and these are the times that won't come again."


I learn so much
by living here.

There's nowhere else on Earth
I need to be
right now.


{Music via The Lovely Bones. Gorgeous film. You must watch it.}
{Quotes from "Hawksong" & "Eclipse"}

7 comments:

  1. jennifercooks4u@yahoo.comMay 28, 2010 at 9:35 PM

    Love it! Now call your momma! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved the trip and the opictures of you were awesome--I love the internet! Grandma

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's SOOO pretty! :D I am a but jealous that you get to enjoy Japan's scenery and food and culture... lol. I'm glad you are loving it though, even if teaching is hard sometimes :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. You sure about that? What about at the cabin with ME!... and Bryn.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know what you mean! Being in Japan was such a blessing! There was so many things that I learned and so many things that happened to be that I would have never known with out the opportunity to experience Japan in such an intimate way as I did.

    The children were such a blessing. The things that they taught me during our lessons, the feelings that were shared, the moments of mutual understanding in the midst of language and cultural barriers.

    Ah, the life filled with purpose, always with something to look forward to. It may sound strange to so, but I miss not having such a responsibility. I miss the feeling of living! I don’t think you really know what living is until you take a courageous jump and take a tremendous risk! In Japan you can't help but breath in each moment. At times it seems mediocre, but when you look at those moments you see such joy and satisfaction. There are times of hardship and pain, but so much of magic and delight.

    Oh what I would give to be there again!

    Keep enjoying those moments!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are so beautiful. Inside and out :)

    ReplyDelete