January 3, 2010

"Paying for Church {and other devious deeds}"

"Work is either fun or drudgery. It depends on your attitude. I like fun."
-Colleen C. Barrett

I forgot to mention that we karaoke-ed on my birthday.
It was kind of awesome.
Especially with the all-you-can-eat ice cream.
Japan knows how to do it right.
Today, we traversed to Yoyogi Park
where we expected to see a plethora of eccentric costumes.
Alas, we went at the wrong time for such a thing.
{*sigh*}
But because there were no strange people to watch
{besides ourselves}
we were able to enjoy the park for all of its natural beauty.
And it is beautiful, even when the trees are nakey.
We all took turns
{minus our one male intern}
posing with this magazine.
"I'm turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese..."
We tried SO HARD to get to Church on time
{we even flagged down a taxi}
but to no avail.
Liz spotted a picture of Angel Moroni on a window,
and then found the sign for the meetinghouse.
We were SO thrilled!
We jumped up and down and clapped our hands,
but stopped when a Japanese man rounded the corner.
He took one look at us,
asked us if we were there for Church,
then explained how the Tokyo 4th Ward was cancelled that week...
BOO.
But we were there. We tried.
And we have the photo to prove it.
{Just in case.}
This was a very interesting Sabbath.
Not only did we pay for subway tickets
and taxi fare... to get to Church,
Liz, Celestia, and I also purchased lunch
at a delicious ramen shoppe.
{We did have a devotional in the evening, though;
that's some merit to us.
...So sad our meeting vanished.}
Okay.
Most restaurants we've been to so far
haven't had any disposable napkins.
{You're supposed to bring your own.}
So...
we were pretty stoked about our ramen shoppe's
disposable napkins.
3/4 of the girls
{including me}
have missionaries who are returning this fall.
During our devotional this evening,
we crowded on Celestia's bed
to show off pictures of our stripling warriors
and promised our man-less friend
she'd be the first to marry out of us all.
And she probably will.

7 comments:

  1. I think you're turning Japanese too. Your story about trying to find church made me laugh. I suppose you'll figure it out soon enough. It's awesome that you are there with such awesome friends who apparently like spending time with you (although who wouldn't like to spend time with you?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're in JAPAN!! For real!! Crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Ashley! I feel bad that you're there already. I was going to be so good and get a visit going with us and your family during the Christmas break, so you and Cassie could both come. Alas! The life of a procratinater! I hope you had a wonderful birthday yesterday! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. dearest ashley,

    1. i'm delighted you used the word nakey.

    2. i love you.

    3. have i told you how much i love the layout of your blog? it's like one giant free-verse poem. and i adore it.

    4. you got style, girlfriend. and i like it.

    5. i love you.

    6. the end.

    7. much love from liz.

    ReplyDelete
  5. post script: i forgot to mention...your video is amazing! you're good at this game. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. You still make videos!! :D This makes me happy. And that video makes me happy. And Liz reminds me of me. Your story about finding the church is quite funny. :) And hooray for fellow MGs!!!! :D That makes me UBER happy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha, if only your statement of me getting married first would be true! (Though I really don't think so...)

    I love the video! Ah, we are awesome.

    ReplyDelete