September 15, 2011

"Standing Before the Sunrise"


With every new morning,
spring graduation approaches...
and my stomach knots itself
as the sun begins to peek 
on the horizon.


I could work for Disney World with Liz,
and network my way over to Tokyo Disney.

I could move to the island of Oahu
and translate Japanese for my friend's company.

I could work for Interac again,
and teach English in Japan.

I could try to find an odd job
in Kansai, somewhere,
maybe work for Akemi's little crepe shoppe?

I could move to Seattle with Erin
and try to work for Japan Air.

I could move somewhere to Switzerland with Erin
and write independent music.


Or I could cast all those plans to sea. 
With each new wave,
a fresh idea washes over me.
The salty bite is exhilarating, against my green skin,
but leaves me when the tide pulls back.
I do not know which wave to ride
to reach that sunrise, 
and it frightens me, 
alone,
on this beach,
made of the sands
of my twenty-two years.





{images via WeHeartIt}

4 comments:

  1. So many different options!! They all sound fun and great. :) I'm sure you'll be able to pick the right/best choice when the time comes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love my ashley. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's wonderful to have options!

    But don't tie yourself up in knots over them. Enjoy each day:

    Work hard.
    Breathe deeply.
    Enjoy friendships.
    Learn. Learn. Learn.

    Then you'll reach shore each day...
    and start anew each morning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've accomplished so much in your 22 years and many opportunities are bound to open up before graduation in April, maybe then it's time to take time off and realize all you've done before you try to do more. XOXO

    ReplyDelete