February 27, 2010

"This May Sound Crazy, But..."


When I use floss,
I remember you saying,
"Oh, you're one of those people",
meaning I use too much of it.
And I can't help but smile.
:)

When I watch the schoolboys pedal
their girlfriends around on bicycles,
I remember you picking me up on a Wednesday,
driving me to the mountains to walk my dog
and watch the sun go to sleep.

And when I have nights like last night,
when the toilet is my pillow
and stomach juices scorch my throat,
I think of you putting a washcloth on my forehead
and stroking my hair.

And it's enough to put me back to sleep,
just like that drowsy sun
when we walked my dog in the mountains together
on a Wednesday.

5 comments:

  1. Are you sick again?? I'm sorry you don't feel good but you sure have a way with words. Love Grandma Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ashley!! You and Liz both seem to be getting sick a lot!!! HUGS!! I miss you and can't wait to see you!! We will this month though, for sure!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    And I loved your post, so cute :).

    LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!

    Brooke

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why can I not write like this?!

    This is so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i <3 that poem. It's so sweet.
    I feel really lucky that I haven't been sick a whole lot this year- especially considering the fact that it's my first year at an elementary school. Mostly I just get sore throats and headaches.

    FEEL Better! I miss you!

    ReplyDelete