July 4, 2010

"Angels in the Mountains"



I took a train to Arima yesterday
to bring Akemi a congratulatory gift
for her shoppe finally opening.



Only thing is,
from Kakogawa to Arima,
there are three
entirely-foreign-to-me
train transfers.


At one point,
I stood in front of the ticket booth
glancing from the map in my hand to the map on the wall,
completely dumbfounded,
before a little old man appeared by my side.
He led me across the platform
down the winding stairs
and over to the subway,
told me how much to pay for my ticket,
and walked me to the gate.
When I turned to wave goodbye,
he was gone.


Upon finally reaching Arima,
I found Akemi's shoppe decorated with wishing trees.
Tanabata is a festival
celebrating the story of two stars in the sky,
Orihime {Vega} & Hikoboshi {Altair}
who live on opposite banks
of the Heavenly River, Awagawa
{i.e. The Milky Way}.

The Japanese hang prayers to this royal couple
in little trees
and let the wind carry their wishes
up to Heaven.


My new friend, Sakura,
hung a total of 7 wishes for her boyfriend
in Akemi's shoppe trees.
I translated one of those wishes
and used it for my own.


After the wishes,
we practiced origami.


Making paper boxes
with fingers and breath.


Akemi introduced me to her customers
as her daughter,
causing them to do a double-take.
"You have a white daughter?"


{left to right: Sakura, Takaki, Akemi, Yuki}
My little family in Japan
grows
with every friend Akemi introduces me to.


If ever you enter the mountains of Arima,
come eat a blueberry-cheese crepe
at Akemi's Fujiwara shoppe
and grow your own little Japanese family.


{Music via Mamma Mia!}

2 comments:

  1. Such a sweet old man- and congrats to your Japanese mother. I think we all do better when we remember that we are all one big family- across climes, cultures, nations, and time.

    I didn't know the story about Orihime and Hikoboshi- although I've read an adaptation based on the Chinese version. Such an interesting love story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I am so excited that she oppened her shop! I love her!

    I so wish I could get back there to Japan. I could just 'die in Japan'! ;P

    ReplyDelete