September 10, 2009

"Kanji"

"There are no foreign lands. It is the traveler only who is foreign."
-Robert Louis Stevenson

Rather than learn kanji by difficulty level, my class learns them by convenience.
Which, yeah, that's cool. But I don't even know the character for "grass". I doubt it's harder than the one for "train station" (which is my favorite one to write).
... Okay, I can't stand it. I have to check.
Grass: 草
Train Station: 駅
Yep, grass is easier. It almost looks like "haya" (which means "fast"): 早 Oh, that's because it's one of the radicals. Okay.
ANYWAYS. It's kinda neat that I know some complicated characters. It just won't be so neat when I'm teaching preschool in Osaka, and, based on my knowledge of difficult kanji, will be expected to know all the ones the kiddies know. Welp, c'est la vie.

So, moving on, here are the characters I was quizzed on today:
And now, the combinations:




My handwriting's quite laughable, but I promise with pen and paper, it's readable.
One last thing, BOTH internships to Japan are pulling through! If they do, I'll be spending all of next year in Japan, stationed in Tokyo and Osaka for certain, as well as several other places unbeknownst to me at the moment.
Am I excited? Oh, yes, yes, yes! But I'll try to contain it until I'm actually accepted. :)

1 comment:

  1. Let me get this straight—Are you planning on being in Japan for Bryn’s last year of his mission so you’ll both return home about the same time???

    ReplyDelete