August 15, 2015

"Hush" (a Japanese ghost story)



Support this song here! Thank you!

Happy Obon! ヘ(・౪・ヘ)
Summertime is the spooky season in Japan (chills keep the heat away) so I’ve created a song to reflect a Japanese ghost story. I originally wrote a little portion of it a long time ago and wanted to flesh it out fully. Obon is a holiday to honor the dead and is more sacred and fun for families than scary, so the song reflects the rest of the summer when scary stories are told. (Obon was my deadline!)

I wrote lyrics that were creepy to me, but my native mother-in-law says my Japanese is too cutesy to be scary to her, so this was a good lesson in cultural horror! ("hai hai? like a baby's crawl? that's too cute.") Special thanks to her for language consultation and to my very dear, very patient brother for mastering it!

I do hope you enjoy "Hush" as I put my heart and soul into it, and had so much fun taking on a creepy little persona. If you are in Japan (or Hawaii) during this time, I hope you dance at Bon Matsuri!

No comments:

Post a Comment