January 10, 2010

"Just Around the River Bend..."

"Life is uncharted territory. It reveals its story one moment at a time."
-Leo F. Buscaglia
Sorry, I've got Disney princesses singing in my ear right now.
First Belle, now Pocahontas.
Not that that has anything to do with anything...

{*ahem*}
Just around the corner,
and down a few streets,
{A blessed miracle.}

My scriptures were taken at the train station,
gone with my tote bag.
And even though most of the members in my new ward
were hesitant to speak English to me,
they accepted my broken Japanese
with eye-crinkling grins.
And let me borrow an English quad
from the Church library.

I made a new friend
{Sayo}
and with her, came the rest of her family,
all smiles, all happiness.
Especially her grandmother,
who stands as high as my ribcage.
Her words in English,
"welcome to my house"
{she meant, "welcome to Church"}
warmed me up.

There is a sister who served in Hawaii,
who used her English skills to ask me questions like,
"Do you want to make miso?"
&
"Do you want to wear a kimono?"

And when they learned I just celebrated my birthday,
they made me a card
and gave me Japanese biscuits.

The ward here is just like home;
everything is structured the same.
The only difference is the language
and the amount of members.
{There were, at best, 15-20 people in the congregation.}

I'm doing my best to fight off homesickness,
and am sharing these little adventures with you
because I wish you all were here,
experiencing them with me.

{Image via Nelson Seawright}

4 comments:

  1. ahh! i sure love that we all blog so that we can keep up with each other. dude, i love your blogs. i`m serious when i say you need to teach me how to be as awesome as you.

    and our church experiences sound a little similar!! that is, the japanese members are amazingly kind and generous and i love them. when i get time, i`m going to write an entry about my experience too. stay tuned.

    can`t wait to hear more! i love you and miss you, lady. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it awesome that the Church is the same no matter where you go?! I love that! I'm glad you found a friend. :) Keep up the good work on the blogging! I love your blog. And I love you. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your bag got stolen on the train???? SADNESS!! :( I am glad they had some English scriptures for you to borrow though. As for your ward--sounds awesome! Only 15-20 people though? My ward had about hmmm....at least 50 members. But I guess I go to one of the biggest chapels in Japan! Anyway, love and miss you lots and soo glad for your awesome blog!!!!!! Love you lots!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so glad you had such a good experience at church! The gospel is such a wonderful thing! Not only do we learn about God, our relationship to him, and his plan for us, but it is a network of "family". No matter where you go you have a family waiting for you with open arms.

    ReplyDelete