February 28, 2013

"Life Scouts"


Because I never was a Boy Scout.
I think an important part of feeling accomplished in life 
is looking back and realizing how far you've already journeyed. 
{Especially good when you're stressed out about school, work, or hey, weddings!}
These lovely Life Scouts have made badges for achievements in your life.
Here are the ones I've earned so far!

 
SEE A DRIVE-IN MOVIE
After a long, desert roadtrip to New Mexico,
friends and I decided to cool off with
an evening showing of "Fool's Gold" outdoors. 

MILK A COW
My West Coast relatives own fair spits of land mowed by livestock. 
The memory is vague, as I was young, 
but I remember thinking, "This is harder than Disney made it look!"

LEARN TO DRIVE A CAR
 I was terrified to achieve this as a teenager,
but thankful I had the opportunity to do so at a young age.
(The rest of the world waits longer to let you learn!)

LEARN CPR
Several of my Health and Family Life instructors 
believed this to be a necessary life skill. 
I'm grateful they did.

ASCEND THE EMPIRE STATE BUILDING
During my second year of high school, 
I ventured with the Productions Team to New York City 
where we had the pleasure of climbing this great beauty.

VISIT A HAUNTED HOUSE
My bones turn to jelly at the slightest creepy sound,
but I've braved haunted houses before.

The Japanese one I ventured into had morbid rooms
of villages ravaged by samurai with screaming women.
...Yeah, no bueno.

RIDE A HORSE 
My grandfather owned a horse named Babe,
and taught me to jump over ditches in the pasture.
My first time, I leaned the wrong way
and found my mouth full of dirt,
my foot twisted in the stirrup.

RIDE A HORSE AND BUGGY
Salt Lake City has lovely carriages to ride in,
and lovely sights to see. 

GO FISHING
Definitely a weakness for me,
but something I've done multiple times.
(Even cleaned my catch!)
Every year, a fishing spree is held
in honor of my late grandfather. 

HIKE A MOUNTAIN
One of my favorite sports -- and I'm in the right state for it! 
Though, it's best to keep an eye on the weather beforehand... 
I've been caught in a summer storm with miles left to go. 

MARCH IN A PARADE
We had neighborhood parades here and there, growing up. 
I remember dressing in pioneer garb and riding a wooden horse. 

OWN A PET
It began with fish, then cats, then birds, then puppies. 

HAVE A PICNIC
I don't do this enough!
I should make a goal to have one once a month, 
in parks and living rooms!

HOLD A SNAKE
My class went to a Life museum when I was small 
and taught us about reptiles and amphibians. 
I used to catch snakes in the garden, 
so holding one in front of my classmates wassss cake. 

WATCH A SUNRISE
The prettiest one I've seen was in Northern California, 
the sky rich with pinks and yellows.

LEARN TO SWIM
My uncle used to toss me into my grandmother's pool 
and teach me how to paddle like Maggie, her old beagle-mix. 
Later in life, I joined a JV swim team and raced butterfly. 

PLANT A TREE
I helped a little with building a friend's house, 
and dug pits for young saplings around their yard. 

GO TO THE ZOO
I remember seeing signs for "Adopt an Animal" at our local zoo 
and eagerly asking the adults, "Can I take a leopard home?" 
It was with great disappointment that I learned about charity. :)


Living is the biggest adventure we will ever do in this state,
so why not live big and best?

{"Life Badges" © Life Scouts}
{images © respective owners}

No comments:

Post a Comment