January 30, 2010

"Hiking Himeji Castle"

"Everywhere is walking distance, if you have the time."
-Steven Wright

...I say "hiking", because that's exactly what we did!
{This place is gi-normous.}
So, the background story to the "Twelve-Layer Kimono" post...
I went to Himeji with one of the English teachers at my school.
{She's Japanese.}
After hiking the castle,
we went to a historical museum
and that's where I tried on the kimono.
{It took about 15 minutes with two ladies to dress me up.}
So! Back to the castle:
This is the Okiku Well...
haunted by a ghost every nightfall.
{I could barely see the bottom... it's deep!}
Himeji Castle is enormous,
surrounded by a mote
and tons of secret gates and corridors.
{The lady in the picture is the one who encouraged me to enter the kimono drawing.}
Ye Olde War Guns.
A shrine for the gods on the top floor of the castle.
{You can see all of Himeji from there!}
Grab a hold and give it a yank
to "wake up the gods"
and make them pay attention to your prayers.
Kinda awesome. :)
Japan has such a rich history.
There's so much to learn,
and so little time!
Only 10 months & 24-ish days left!

4 comments:

  1. I am so jealous! I want to go there too.

    It looks like you had a real good time and are getting to see a lot. I am either going to Hiroshima next weekend or Miyagima. Miyagima if the girls in my ward can go, Hiroshima if they can't. Who knows, we'll see if I actually get out and do anything or not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow Chica, that is amazing! :) It's so beautiful and it is big O_O I really hope that I get a chance to go to Japan with you sometime in the future. It would be so fun! And hopefully with our hubbies. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Psst:
    I think you meant "moat: a large ditch surrounding an abode, usually filled with water and/or spikey things" not "mote: a small speck of something." :P but nobody except a history buff or an English major would notice that. :P

    I want to go to Japan too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh... what a silly mistake! :P Thanks!

    ReplyDelete